BennieC

rvf to and from docx

Post by BennieC »

I am sure this has been answered before but I don't find a topic in the posts

Can RichView:
Save as .docx
load from .docx
Receive and send Clipboard to MSWord

all without formatting issues. If there are issues, have they been listed somewhere

Regards
Bennie
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

1. Our components do not have methods for saving and loading DOCX files. You can only do it using TRVOfficeConverter component. This component uses import and export converters (DLLs).
Problems:
- the converters are installed with MS Office, so MS Office is required (they are available as a free separate download from the Microsoft site, but I am not sure can they be installed on the computer without any Office).
- quality of conversion may be worse than with RTF files, because converters may lose some formatting information.

2. Yes, document can be copy-pasted (and drag-dropped) between TRichViewEdit and MS Word. It happens with the maximal possible quality, via RTF format. Of course, only information supported by the both editors can be copy-pasted. For example, when copying from MS Word to TRichViewEdit, TRichViewEdit ignores floating objects and drawing shapes. When copying from TRichViewEdit, some features like gif animation or table background images cannot be copied, because they cannot be stored in RTF.
BennieC

Post by BennieC »

Thanks Sergey,
Where do I get hold TRVOfficeConverter.
Bennie
Marsianin

Post by Marsianin »

Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

TRVOfficeConverter is one of components included in the TRichView package.
You can find a simple demo for it in Demos\*\OfficeConveters\ folders.
RichViewActions use TRVOfficeConverter for importing and exporting files.

It uses the converters-DLLs installed with MS Office 2007 or newer.
The converters can be downloaded separately from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3 . I hope they can be installed on any computer, even without any version of MS Office.
Marsianin

Post by Marsianin »

It seems TRVOfficeConverter cannot detect converters from MS Office 2010 64-bit version.
There were no problems with 32-bit Office 2010.
Martian

Post by Martian »

Do you plan to support OfficeConverters for newer Office and 64-bit or we can assume this component is obsolete?

What about native support for .docx?
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

I did not tested the latest version of MS Office yet, but, as far as I remember, MS Word 2013 does not include any export converter, and includes a single import converter - PDF.

While the old converters used RTF as an internal format, new converters use DocX. So, without native DocX reading, it's not possible to implement import converters.

Native DocX export is implemented (you replied to an old topic, these posts were written when DocX export was not implemented yet; now you can use SaveDocX and SaveDocXToStream methods, no converters are needed)
Native DocX import is planned, but after FireMonkey version.
Martian

Post by Martian »

Yeah I mean native DocX import.